Main Article Content
Acute myeloid leukemia (AML) M6 is a rare form of AML accounting for < 5 % of all AML. Extramedullary involvement is very rarely seen in this entity. Skeletal lesion has not been described in AML M6 before. We discuss the case of a 17 year old boy with AML M6 who presented with osteolytic lesion of right humerus. He was treated with induction and consolidation chemotherapy. The present case is the first report in literature of AML M6 presenting with skeletal lesions.
Downloads month by month
1. Arber DA, Brunning RD, Orazi A, Peterson L, Thiele J, Lee Beau MM. Acute myeloid leukemia, not otherwisw specified. In WHO Classification of Tumors of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissue. Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Pileri SA, Stein H, Thiele J, Vardiman JW (eds). IARC: Lyon, France 2008, 130-139.
2. Johnson JL, Moscinski L, Zuckerman K. Acute Myeloid Leukemia presenting with lytic bone lesions. J Clin Oncol 2004; 22:2968-2970.
3. Lima CS, Pintoneto JV, da Cunha ML, Vassallo J, Cardinalli IA, De Souza CA. Osteolytic lesions as a presenting sign f acute myeloid leukemia. Haematologia 2000; 30:325-331.
4. Muler JH, Valdez R, Hayes C, Kaminski MS. Acute megakaryocytic leukemia presenting as hypercalcemia with skeletal lytic lesions. Eur J Haematol 2002; 68: 392-396.
5. Fisher D, Ruchlemer R, hiller N, Blinder G, Abrahamov A. Aggressive bone destruction in acute megakaryocytic leukemia; A rare presentation. Pediatr Radiol 1997; 27: 20-22.
6. Franco A, Lewis KN, Blackmon JM, Manaloor EJ. Hyperostosis – an unusual radiographic presentation of myelodysplastic syndrome transformed to acute myeloid leukemia. Radiology Case. 2010; 4:18-25.
7. Dharmasena F, Wickham N, McHugh PJ, Catovsky D, Galton DA. Osteolytic tumors in acute megakaryoblastic leukemia. Cancer 1986; 58:2273 -2277
8. Seifi S, Asvadi Kermani A, Asvadi Kermani I, Dolatkhah R. An uncommon occurance of acute myeloid leukemia in Tabriz. J Clin Diagn Res 2010; 4: 3225-3229.
9. Shahnazi M, Khatami A, Shamsian B, Haerizadeh B, Mehrafarin M.Bony lesions in Pediatric acute Leukemia: Pictorial Essay. Iranian J of Radiol 2012; 9: 50-56.
10. Barbosa CM, Nakamura C, Terreri MT, Lee ML, Petrilli AS, Hilario MO. Musculoskeletal manifestations at the onset of acute leukemias in childhood. J Pediatr 2002; 78:481-484.
11. Voss A, Schmidt K, Hasselbalch, Junker P. Hypercalcemia in idiopathic fibrosis. Modulation of calcium and collagen homeostasis by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3. Am J Hematol 1992;39:231–233.
12. Kwong YL, Ng I, Leuung S. Osteolytic skeletal lesions in chronic myeloid leukemia. Pathology 22:123-125, 1990