Main Article Content
This is the report of the clinical case of a patient who presents the association of a JAK-2 positive chronic myeloproliferative neoplasia to a subsequent 5q- myelodysplastic syndrome, developed after about 14 years from the first diagnosis. Patient’s symptoms had rapidly worsened, and she became transfusion-dependent. Therapy with low-dose Lenalidomide quickly reduced the splenomegaly, and completely brought white cells counts, haemoglobin and platelets back to normal. After more than one year from start, blood cell count is still normal. As far as we know this is the first case of an effective treatment with Lenalidomide reported in this clinical setting.
Downloads month by month
2. Ingram W, Lea NC, Cervera J, et al. The JAK2 V617F mutation identifies a subgroup of MDS patients with isolated deletion 5q and a proliferative bone marrow. Leukemia. 2006;20:1319-1321.
3. Azaceta G, Calasanz MJ, Dourdil V, Bonafonte E, Izquierdo I, Palomera L. Response to lenalidomide in a patient with myelodysplastic syndrome with isolated del(5q) and JAK2 V617F mutation. Leuk Lymphoma. 2010;51:1941-1943.
4. Reis MD, Sher GD, Lakhani A, Dubé ID, Senn JS, Pinkerton PH. Deletion of the long arm of chromosome 5 in essential thrombocythemia. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 1992;61:93-95.
5.Takahashi H, Furukawa T, Hashimoto S, et al. 5q- syndrome presenting chronic myeloproliferative disorders-like manifestation: a case report. Am J Hematol. 2000;64:120-123.
6. Wong KF, Yu PH, Wong WS. Essential thrombocythemia with deleted 5q-a genetic and morphologic hybrid? Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2010;201:39-41.
7. Wong KF, Wong WS, Siu LL, Lau TC, Chan NP. JAK2 V617F mutation is associated with 5q- syndrome in Chinese. Leuk Lymphoma. 2009;50:1333-1335.
8. Dasanu CA, Schwartz RA, Bauer F, Davis LK, Silver JS, Reale MA. Polycythemia vera evolving into a rapidly progressive Ph-negative del(5q)-positive myeloproliferative neoplasm refractory to lenalidomide. Leuk Res. 2011;35:41-43.
9. Santana-Davila R, Tefferi A, Holtan SG, et al. Primary myelofibrosis is the most frequent myeloproliferative neoplasm associated with del(5q): clinicopathologic comparison of del(5q)-positive and -negative cases. Leuk Res. 2008;32:1927-1930.
10. Musto P, Simeon V, Guariglia R, Bianchino G, Grieco V, Nozza F, La Rocca F, Marziano G, Lalinga AV, Fabiani E, Voso MT, Scaravaglio P, Mecucci C, D'Arena G. Myelodysplastic disorders carrying both isolated del(5q) and JAK2(V617F) mutation: concise review, with focus on lenalidomide therapy. Onco Targets Ther. 2014 Jun 13;7:1043-50.