Response to Interferon-Free Direct Antivirals (DAAS) Treatment in HCV-Related Subcutaneous Lipoma-Like Marginal Zone B-Cell Lymphoma
Main Article Content
HCV, B-NHL, lipoma-like Marginal Zone Lymphoma, Direct-acting antiviral (DAAs)
In 2010 a new entity termed “lipoma-like” HCV related marginal zone B-NHL was described.
The etiological link between HCV infection and B-NHL has been extensively investigated in several epidemiological, biological and therapeutic studies and large experiences in literature demonstrated indolent lymphoma’s regression after antiviral therapy.
HCV-related indolent NHL response to interferon-ribavirin-based antiviral therapy is well documented, while evidence of the efficacy of interferon-free direct-acting antivirals (DAAs) in this subset of lymphoma is also currently increasing. In this article we report two cases of HCV-related subcutaneous “lipoma-like” Marginal Zone B-cell lymphoma, treated with DAAs. Sustained virological response (SVR) with reduction of MZL localizations, persisting to date, were obtained in both patients. These data originally demonstrate the efficacy of DAAs in this rare entity.
2) Gower E, Estes C, Blach S, Razavi-Shearer K, Razavi H. Global epidemiology and genotype distribution of the hepatitis C virus infection. J Hepatol. 2014 Nov;61(1 Suppl):S45-57
3) Mele A, Pulsoni A, Bianco E, Musto P, Szklo A, Sanpaolo MG, Iannitto E, De Renzo A, Martino B, Liso V, Andrizzi C, Pusterla S, Dore F, Maresca M, Rapicetta M, Marcucci F, Mandelli F, Franceschi S. Hepatitis C virus and B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas: an Italian multicenter case-control study. Blood. 2003 Aug 1;102(3):996-9
4) Peveling-Oberhag J, Arcaini L, Hansmann ML, Zeuzem S. Hepatitis C-associated B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas. Epidemiology, molecular signature and clinical management. J Hepatol. 2013 Jul;59(1):169-77
5) Arcaini L, Vallisa D, Rattotti S, Ferretti VV, Ferreri AJ, Bernuzzi P, Merli M, Varettoni M, Chiappella A, Ambrosetti A, Tucci A, Rusconi C, Visco C, Spina M, Cabras G, Luminari S, Tucci M, Musto P, Ladetto M, Merli F, Stelitano C, d'Arco A, Rigacci L, Levis A, Rossi D, Spedini P, Mancuso S, Marino D, Bruno R, Baldini L, Pulsoni A. Antiviral treatment in patients with indolent B-cell lymphomas associated with HCV infection: a study of the Fondazione Italiana Linfomi. Ann Oncol. 2014 Jul;25(7):1404-10.
6) Arcaini L, Besson C, Frigeni M, Fontaine H, Goldaniga M, Casato M, Visentini M, Torres HA, Loustaud-Ratti V, Peveling-Oberhag J, Fabris P, Rossotti R, Zaja F, Rigacci L, Rattotti S, Bruno R, Merli M, Dorival C, Alric L, Jaccard A, Pol S, Carrat F, Ferretti VV, Visco C, Hermine O. Interferon-free antiviral treatment in B-cell lymphoproliferative disorders associated with hepatitis C virus infection. Blood. 2016 Nov 24;128(21):2527-2532.