Main Article Content
Persons Living with HIV (PLWH) are at higher risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) than the general population. Carotid ultrasound is a non-invasive diagnostic tool, aimed at the assessment of vascular anatomy and function. Our present aim is to generate a National Register of color-Doppler ultrasonography (Archi-Prevaleat) to better evaluate the characteristics of vascular lesions in PLWH on a large number of data.
Downloads month by month
2. Rao SG, Galaviz KI, Gay HC, Wei J, Armstrong WS, del Rio C, Narayan KMV, Ali MK. Factors Associated with Excess Myocardial Infarction Risk in HIV-infected Adults: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2019 Feb 20.
3. Drozd DR, Kitahata MM, Althoff KN, Zhang J, Gange SJ, Napravnik S, Burkholder GA, Mathews WC, Silverberg MJ, Sterling TR, Heckbert SR, Budoff MJ, Van Rompaey S, Delaney JAC, Wong C, Tong W, Palella FJ, Elion RA, Martin JN, Brooks JT, Jacobson LP, Eron JJ, Justice AC, Freiberg MS, Klein DB, Post WS, Saag MS, Moore RD, Crane HM. Increased Risk of Myocardial Infarction in HIV-Infected Individuals in North America Compared With the General Population. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017 Aug 15;75(5):568-576.
4. Subramanya V, McKay HS, Brusca RM, Palella FJ, Kingsley LA, Witt MD, Hodis HN, Tracy RP, Post WS, Haberlen SA. Inflammatory biomarkers and subclinical carotid atherosclerosis in HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected men in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. PLoS One. 2019 Apr 4;14(4):e0214735.
5. Hsue PY. Mechanisms of Cardiovascular Disease in the Setting of HIV Infection. Can J Cardiol. 2019 Mar;35(3):238-248.
6. Schmidt-Trucksass A, Grathwohl D, Schmid A, et al. Structural, functional, and hemodynamic changes of the common carotid artery with age in male subjects. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1999;19:1091–1097.
7. Schoning M, Walter J, Scheel P. Estimation of cerebral blood flow through color duplex sonography of the carotid and vertebral arteries in healthy adults. Stroke. 1994;25:17–22.
8. Pignoli P, Tremoli E, Poli A, Oreste P, Paoletti R. Intimal plus medial thickness of the arterial wall: a direct measurement with ultrasound imaging. Circulation. 1986;74:1399–1406.
9. Stein JH, Korcarz CE, Hurst RT, et al. Use of carotid ultrasound to identify subclinical vascular disease and evaluate cardiovascular disease risk: a consensus statement from the American Society of Echocardiography Carotid Intima-Media Thickness Task Force. Endorsed by the Society for Vascular Medicine. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2008;21:93–111. quiz 189-90.
10. Salonen JT, Salonen R. Ultrasonographically assessed carotid morphology and the risk of coronary heart disease. Arterioscler Thromb. 1991;11:1245–1249.
11. Howard G, Sharrett AR, Heiss G, et al. Carotid artery intimal-medial thickness distribution in general populations as evaluated by B-mode ultrasound. ARIC Investigators. Stroke. 1993;24:1297–1304.
12. van der Meer IM, Bots ML, Hofman A, del Sol AI, van der Kuip DA, Witteman JC. Predictive value of noninvasive measures of atherosclerosis for incident myocardial infarction: the Rotterdam Study. Circulation. 2004;109:1089–1094.
13. Polak JF, Pencina MJ, Pencina KM, O'Donnell CJ, Wolf PA, D'Agostino RB. Carotid-wall intima-media thickness and cardiovascular events. N Engl J Med. 2011;365:213–221.
14. Naqvi TZ, Mendoza F, Rafii F, et al. High prevalence of ultrasound detected carotid atherosclerosis in subjects with low Framingham risk score: potential implications for screening for subclinical atherosclerosis. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2010;23:809–815.
15. Chuang SY, Bai CH, Cheng HM, et al. Common carotid artery end-diastolic velocity is independently associated with future cardiovascular events. Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2016;23:116–124.
16. Smith Jr. SC, Amsterdam E, Balady GJ, Bonow RO, Fletcher GF, Froelicher V, et al., Prevention conference V: beyond secondary prevention: identifying the high-risk patient for primary prevention: tests for silent and inducible ischemia: writing group II, Circulation Volume 101, Issue 1, 4 January 2000, Pages E12-16.
17. O'Leary DH, Polak JF, Kronmal RA, Manolio TA, Burke GL, Wolfson Jr. SK. Carotid-artery intima and media thickness as a risk factor for myocardial infarction and stroke in older adults, Cardiovascular Health Study Collaborative Research Group, N. N Engl J Med 1999; 340:14-22.
18. O'Leary DH, Polak JF, Wolfson Jr.SK, Bond MG, Bommer W, Sheth S, Use of sonography to evaluate carotid atherosclerosis in the elderly, The Cardiovascular Health Study. CHS Collaborative Research Group, Stroke. 1991;22:1155–1163.
19. Goff DC, Jr, Lloyd-Jones DM, Bennett G, et al. 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the assessment of cardiovascular risk: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. JACC. 2014;63:2935–2959.
20. Naqvi TZ, Lee MS. Carotid intima-media thickness and plaque in cardiovascular risk assessment. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2014;7:1025–1038.
21. Maggi P, Fiorentino G, Saracino A, Fico C, Perilli F, Lillo A et al. Precocious lesions of the carotid vessels in HIV-1 patients treated with protease inhibitors. Antiviral Therapy 1999; 4 (supplement 2): 54-55.
22. Maggi P, Serio G, Epifani G, Fiorentino G, Saracino A, Fico C et al. Premature lesions of the carotid vessels in HIV-1-infected patients treated with protease inhibitors. AIDS 2000; 14: 123-128.
23. Maggi P, Fiorentino G, Epifani G, Ladisa N, Lillo A, Perilli Fet al. Premature vascular lesions in HIV-1-infected patients: a clockwork bomb that will explode?. AIDS 2002; 16: 947-948.
24. Maggi P, Lillo A, Perilli F, Maserati R, Chirianni A on behalf of the PREVALEAT group. Colour-doppler ultrasonography of carotid vessels in patients treated with antiretroviral therapy: a comparative study. AIDS 2004; 18:1023-1028.
25. Maggi P, Volpe A, Bellacosa C, Pastore G, Perilli F, Lillo A et al. The role of immune reconstitution in the onset of subclinical atheromasic lesions. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2009 Dec 1;52(4):524-5.
26. Maggi P, Bellacosa C, Leone A, Volpe A, Ricci ED, Ladisa N, Cicalini S, Grilli E, Viglietti R, Chirianni A, Bellazzi LI, Maserati R, Martinelli C, Corsi P, Celesia BM, Sozio F, Angarano G. Cardiovascular risk in advanced naïve HIV-infected patients starting antiretroviral therapy: Comparison of three different regimens - PREVALEAT II cohort. Atherosclerosis. 2017 Aug; 263:398-404.
27. Friis-Møller N, Reiss P, Sabin CA, Weber R, Monforte Ad, El-Sadr W, Thiébaut R, De Wit S, Kirk O, Fontas E, Law MG, Phillips A, Lundgren JD. Class of antiretroviral drugs and the risk of myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med. 2007 Apr 26;356(17):1723-35.
28. Ryom L, Lundgren JD, El-Sadr W, Reiss P, Kirk O, Law M, Phillips A, Weber R, Fontas E, d' Arminio Monforte A, De Wit S, Dabis F, Hatleberg CI, Sabin C, Mocroft A. Cardiovascular disease and use of contemporary protease inhibitors: the D:A:D international prospective multicohort study. Lancet HIV. 2018 Jun;5(6):e291-e300.