Main Article Content
Coronavirus, COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2, hematopoietic cell transplant, bone, marrow transplant, stem cell transplant, multiple myeloma, acute lymphoblastic leukemia, lymphoma
In late 2019 the coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19) pandemic caused by SARS Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) started in Wuhan, China. Cancer patients are immunosuppressed from their disease and the therapy they receive. Hematopoietic cell transplant (HCT) recipients are a subgroup of patients that are severely immunocompromised and may be at an even higher risk of a complicated course during this infection. We herein report the outcomes and course of 11 sequential cases of HCT recipients infected by SARS-CoV-2 treated in our center. The patients age ranged from 17 to 60 years, the duration from transplant to infection ranged from day +5 to 192 months, 6 patients were post allo-HCT, 4 post auto-HCT and one had both allo and auto-HCT. The presenting symptoms were not different from other viral illnesses. The majority had mild COVID-19 stage, while 3 had moderate stage on presentation. None of the patients required oxygen supplementation nor mechanical ventilation.
2. Lurie N, Saville M, Hatchett R, Halton J. Developing Covid-19 vaccines at pandemic speed. New England Journal of Medicine 2020;382(21):1969-1973.
3. Huang C, Wang Y, Li X, Ren L, Zhao J, Hu Y, Zhang L, Fan G, Xu J, Gu X. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. The lancet 2020;395(10223):497-506.
4. Miyashita H, Mikami T, Chopra N, Yamada T, Chernyavsky S, Rizk D, Cruz C. Do patients with cancer have a poorer prognosis of COVID-19? An experience in New York City. Annals of Oncology 2020.
5. Guan WJ, Liang WH, Zhao Y, Liang HR, Chen ZS, Li YM, Liu XQ, Chen RC, Tang CL, Wang T and others. Comorbidity and its impact on 1590 patients with COVID-19 in China: a nationwide analysis. Eur Respir J 2020;55(5).
6. Miyashita H, Mikami T, Chopra N, Yamada T, Chernyavsky S, Rizk D, Cruz C. Do patients with cancer have a poorer prognosis of COVID-19? An experience in New York City. Ann Oncol 2020.
7. He W, Chen L, Chen L, Yuan G, Fang Y, Chen W, Wu D, Liang B, Lu X, Ma Y and others. COVID-19 in persons with haematological cancers. Leukemia 2020.
8. Gavillet M, Klappert JC, Spertini O, Blum S. Acute leukemia in the time of COVID-19. Leukemia Research 2020;92:106353.
9. Wang H, Zhang L. Risk of COVID-19 for patients with cancer. The Lancet Oncology 2020;21(4):e181.
10. Dai M, Liu D, Liu M, Zhou F, Li G, Chen Z, Zhang Z, You H, Wu M, Zheng Q. Patients with cancer appear more vulnerable to SARS-COV-2: a multicenter study during the COVID-19 outbreak. Cancer discovery 2020;10(6):783-791.
11. Niederwieser D, Baldomero H, Atsuta Y, Aljurf M, Seber A, Greinix HT, Koh M, Worel N, Galeano S, Jaimovich G. One and half million hematopoietic stem cell transplants (HSCT). Dissemination, trends and potential to improve activity by telemedicine from the Worldwide Network for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (WBMT). American Society of Hematology Washington, DC; 2019.
12. Huang J, Lin H, Wu Y, Fang Y, Kumar R, Chen G, Lin S. COVID-19 in posttransplant patients a report of 2 cases. American Journal of Transplantation 2020.
13. Saraceni F, Scortechini I, Mancini G, Mariani M, Federici I, Gaetani M, Barbatelli P, Minnucci M, Bagnarelli P, Olivieri A. Severe COVID-19 in a patient with chronic graft-versus-host disease after hematopoietic stem cell transplant successfully treated with ruxolitinib. Transplant Infectious Disease 2020:e13401.
14. Vicent MG, Martinez AP, Del Castillo MT, Molina B, Sisini L, Moron-Cazalilla G, Diaz MA. COVID-19 in pediatric hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: The experience of Spanish Group of Transplant (GETMON/GETH). Pediatric blood & cancer 2020.
15. Young BE, Ong SWX, Kalimuddin S, Low JG, Tan SY, Loh J, Ng O-T, Marimuthu K, Ang LW, Mak TM. Epidemiologic features and clinical course of patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 in Singapore. Jama 2020;323(15):1488-1494.
16. Anurathapan U, Apiwattanakul N, Pakakasama S, Pongphitcha P, Thitithanyanont A, Pasomsub E, Hongeng S. Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation from an infected SARS-CoV2 donor sibling. Bone Marrow Transplantation 2020:1-2.